Short Play Rises Again - On the Other Side of The World

Long before I became known (if I am known - who knows?) for the Comedy Murder Mystery plays over on Play Dead -  I wrote music reviews for a local entertainment newspaper as well as comedy sketches for a local improv/comedy group that I was a part of.  (yea, I know that was a preposition)

I eventually evolved into trying my hand and words at something a bit longer - such as a one-act play. I tinkered around with it for a few months and cranked out something called " In Between Days" - which was about a few arty college grads who realized they had useless degrees.  Through the generous guidance of college professor who taught playwriting - my one act was produced and staged for a writing conference. What a better way to learn than to see your play and hear your words in front of a live audience.

Fast forward a year, I entered another one act called "The Favor" - about a suicidal man seeking his own demise and death in a bad neighborhood - into a One Act Play contest in St Louis. The Favor was picked as the one the finalist - hence produced and staged in front of a live audience. I also received a nice review in the local paper.

Here is where I somehow jumped the shark as it were -  on a whim or a bet - I wrote a murder mystery for a local group and well - the rest is a cliche.  I became known as a murder mystery playwright. (In some eyes this is NOT a real playwright. The kind that Adam Szymkowicz would never even ask to interview for his "I interview Playwrights thing.  Whatever. It's fine. )

Rahul Reddy - an actor from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh in India -( who had appeared in one of my Murder Mysteries over there) - contacted me and asked if I would like to submit a work into short play contest held by Dramanon Hyderabad .   A short work? You mean a Real work... not a murder mystery? But an honest to goodness real play - the sort of play I started out writing? Before the shark jump? The kind that I have kept on working on even though the whole..

Yes.

Ok. Yes, I would very much like to submit something. I did. It was accepted and it is called "The Thing That Happened."  And here is a short trailer for it.







Popular Posts